Gifts of appreciated stocks, bonds or mutual funds can be powerful – and highly tax-efficient – ways to help children in need. Appreciated securities owned for at least one year and one day may have several advantages over cash donations such as:
- You may be able to take an immediate tax deduction, not for the original cost to you, but for the full fair market value of the stock on receipt by NCMEC.
- The stock transfer may be exempt from capital gains tax.
- The higher the appreciation, the greater the potential tax savings may be.
To donate stock to NCMEC
To ensure delivery and to help us provide you with the receipt you need for tax purposes, please contact us (or have your broker contact us) with the following:
- Your name, address, and phone number/email address.
- The stock name/ticker symbol, number of shares, and the approximate date of the stock transfer.
Victoria Wodarcyk, Major Gifts and Planned Giving
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Charles B. Wang International Children's Building
699 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3175
Tax advantages are only to the extent permissible by law. Any statements contained herein are not intended as tax, accounting or legal advice. You should review any planned financial transactions with your personal professional advisors.